Register                

Thread: Help installing Trane XL824 with Goodman Heat Pump

User Info Menu

Help installing Trane XL824 with Goodman Heat Pump

Newbie trying to install an XL824 on a Goodman Heat Pump system. Just purchased house and old owner took the old thermostat. Have 8 wires on wall, not sure if all are used. The model number shown on the unit is ARUF042-00A-1A. I believe its a single-stage unit.

I attempted to wire it like, following a post I saw on this site:

Aux1
    Aux1
    Aux2
    Aux2
    RC - Jumped to RH
    RH - Red
    B/C - Blue
    O - White
    Y1 - Yellow
    Y2
    G - Green
    BK
    W1
    W2
    W3
    ODT
    ODT
    RS1
    RS1

The unit turned on and appeared to work - I turned heat on and set the temp to rise 2 degrees. Heat came on raised properly - the thermostat then showed Standby once temp was reached, but the unit kept heating and didn't turn off for several more degrees. Showed Standby, but would not shut down. I had to shut down system by pulling the thermostat.

Tried to wire it guessing at what seemed liked 1 of 93 options - choosing the 1 Stage Heat Pump with Non-Variable Fan from the manual:

Aux1
    Aux1
    Aux2
    Aux2
    RC - Jumped to RH
    RH - Red
    B/C - Blue
    O - Orange
    Y1 - Yellow
    Y2
    G - Green
    BK
    W1 - White
    W2
    W3
    ODT
    ODT
    RS1
    RS1

When I turned on A/C, the heat came on - unit showed Cooling, but was pumping out heat.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I would think that your second wiring with the orange wire connected to the O terminal is correct and the SOV operation is not set up properly. Try finding the SOV (reversing valve) operation setting and change it.  

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thermostat View Post
    I would think that your second wiring with the orange wire connected to the O terminal is correct and the SOV operation is not set up properly. Try finding the SOV (reversing valve) operation setting and change it.  
    Thanks! I will give it a try and report back. Appreciate the fast reply.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpwolf View Post
    Thanks! I will give it a try and report back. Appreciate the fast reply.
    That worked! Note for anyone else with similar issues, must hold the Tech Service for 5 seconds to enter the Service menu. All else was a breeze. Thanks for help.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Thanks for providing the feedback