Register                

Thread: XL824 Runs AC Continuously Starting at 9-9:30 PM

User Info Menu

XL824 Runs AC Continuously Starting at 9-9:30 PM

Three days ago I installed a new Trane XL824 thermostat to replace my Trane 802 thermostat.
    It is on a 10 year old 4 ton Trane XL16i straight cool system (two speed compressor).
    I have downloaded the event data.
    Most of the time (even at the hottest time of the day) the system cycles on/off several times per hour.

All three nights the system has been cooling for at least an hour starting between 9:00 and 9:30 PM.
    I have to intervene to get it to stop.
    The first night I turned off dehumidification thinking that might be causing it to run continuously (normal about 60% RH).
    Last night I pushed the temp setting up to get it to stop.
    Today I turned off "Smart Calibration" since there are still random entries in the event log.

Right now it has been cooling (on low) for 90 minutes straight.
    The displayed temperature has not changed and is still at the set point (80).
    The humidity reading has dropped from 63% to 59%.

I went into the Service menu and looked at the Status page.
    The thermostat thinks the ambient temp has been 80.18 for the last 30 minutes even though the ambient has dropped 0.6 degrees (external 0.1 degree thermometer).

I know I can create a program to bump up the temp for a few hours at this time of the day and then lower it back down.
    I should not need to do that.

I have read reports that the XL950 has temperature sensing problems (temperature probe affected by thermostat internal heat).
    Does the XL824 have similar problems?
    Is there a known problem with the XL824 temperature ambient reading locking up?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Not sure what this may be but was thinking that there may a draft from the hole behind the thermostat. You should check the hole behind the thermostat and if it is to big seal it up. The other thing I was thinking is that there may be a performance issue with your unit. Why did you replace the existing thermostat?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thermostat View Post
    Not sure what this may be but was thinking that there may a draft from the hole behind the thermostat. You should check the hole behind the thermostat and if it is to big seal it up. The other thing I was thinking is that there may be a performance issue with your unit. Why did you replace the existing thermostat?
    Replaced to get the remote control capability.
    Old Trane 802 worked perfectly 24/7 !!!
    I would think that if the hole was creating a draft it would affect the thermostat all day, not just 9-11 PM.
    Seems like maybe the thermostat runs some daily program between 9-11 PM that affects it's operation.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

I do have a close to 1 inch hole behind the thermostat.
    I will try to patch it.
    I suppose I need some kind of putty?
    What do you recommend?

Thanks.

User Info Menu

You were right !!! Sealed the hole today with silver duct tape over the hole and back of the thermostat frame. Also put RTV where the wires come through behind the frame and on the front side of the frame. Works MUCH better now !!!

Thank You !!!!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Thanks for providing the update.