Register                
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems with RTH9580WF

User Info Menu

Problems with RTH9580WF

Hi folks,
    I followed all of the directions for the install and all seemed to go well except for the fact that the compressor wouldn't turn on. After troubleshooting for an hour, I reinstalled the old one and it works as before. What am I doing wrong?

Administrator

User Info Menu

What terminals had wires connected to them on the existing thermostat. What terminals did you have wires connected to on the RTH9580.

User Info Menu

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1707.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	1503
    This is what my carrier thermostat looked like before the install.

Administrator

User Info Menu

On the RTH9580 did you have the yellow wire connected to the Y terminal and nothing connected to the Y2 terminal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thermostat View Post
    On the RTH9580 did you have the yellow wire connected to the Y terminal and nothing connected to the Y2 terminal
    At first, I connected the yellow to the Y and then I tried connecting it to the Y2, and neither time did my compressor turn on. I'm not sure how long I left it connected to the Y2 before I reinstalled the old thermostat because I was scared I was going to fry the system.

Administrator

User Info Menu

The yellow wire should be connected to the Y terminal on the RTH9580. From your attached picture in post 3 it looks like you have a heat pump. Do you know if you have a heat pump? If you do have a heat pump when you setup the RTH9580 did you set it up as a heat pump?