Thread: Thermostat wiring/splicing question

User Info Menu

Thermostat wiring/splicing question

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiring.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	1508

Hi guys - looking for a little help. I bought an Ecobee3 thermostat. The previous stat had Y,G,W,R wires connected and a blue or black wire not connected to anything and tucked in behind the stat. The thermostat bundle goes into the crawlspace, and just before the furnace unit there is a splice, which is pictured here. The wire bundle to the left goes to the stat, and the wire bundle to the right goes to the terminal. The stat bundle has the green wire spliced with a white jumper wire (circled on the left), which ties into the green wire from the terminal bundle. The blue/black wire from the stat is also spliced into these wires as well, for some reason (circled in the middle). The blue wire on the terminal bundle is just wrapped around the bundle and does not connect at either end (circled on the right).

I THINK what I need to do is keep the green wires spliced together, remove the blue/black wire from this splice, splice it with the blue wire to from the terminal bundle, and then terminate the other end of the blue wire on the "C" terminal. I just don't want to short something out or fry something.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by chrisTKE; 07-25-2017 at 07:59 AM.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chrisTKE View Post
    I THINK what I need to do is keep the green wires spliced together, remove the blue/black wire from this splice, splice it with the blue wire to from the terminal bundle, and then terminate the other end of the blue wire on the "C" terminal.
    From the information that you have provided I would agree that these wiring changes would provide a proper C connection