Register                

Thread: Help installing a Honeywell RTH8500WF?

User Info Menu

Help installing a Honeywell RTH8500WF?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5888.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	1514I'm trying to install a Honeywell RTH8500WF wifi thermostat. I have no C wire so I'll be following the instructions in this video to use the G wire. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jniws7wqeY4)

I think I understand what I need to do in the thermostat. But in the furnace, there are already two white wires going into C, and two wires also going into Y.

Any suggestions on what I need to do in the furnace ... ?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Make sure you turn off the power to the HVAC system if you make these changes.

At the thermostat:
    Move the wire connected to the G terminal to the C terminal.

At the furnace:
    Install a jumper between the Y terminal and the G terminal

The two wires that you see connected to the Y terminal in the furnace are most likely the Y wire from the thermostat and the Y wire to the outdoor unit.

The two wires that you see connected to the C terminal in the furnace are most likely the C wire from the outdoor unit and the common wire from the transformer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thermostat View Post
    Make sure you turn off the power to the HVAC system if you make these changes.

At the thermostat:

At the furnace:
    Install a jumper between the Y terminal and the G terminal

The two wires that you see connected to the Y terminal in the furnace are most likely the Y wire from the thermostat and the Y wire to the outdoor unit.

The two wires that you see connected to the C terminal in the furnace are most likely the C wire from the outdoor unit and the common wire from the transformer.
    Thanks!!! So you think it will be OK that I will end up with three wires in C and three wires in Y?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gouache23 View Post
    Thanks!!! So you think it will be OK that I will end up with three wires in C and three wires in Y?
    Yes