Register                
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nexia 824 animated icons stopped working

User Info Menu

I spoke too soon when posting the previous update. System was not running when I said home screen displays look good. After AC started running, I see the animated icons (cooling waves and spinning fan) no longer animate. FW release version updated from 3.1 to 5.1.1, so I suspect I just got the dummed-down thermostat that tommyd was talking about (i.e no animated icons). Now I need to decide if it's worth the $380 I paid for it or if I return for refund and replace it with something at 1/4 the price.
    Last edited by KEMeyer; 08-22-2017 at 08:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Animations no longer working for me either.

In addition, the thermostat no longer indicates when my whole-house dehumidifier is running.

I wonder if the humidifier will work in the Winter.

User Info Menu

I miss the animations as well My aged eyes aren't the greatest but I could easily see the animations without glasses on.

But worse...I lost internet connectivity last week. It turns out it was due to this update - it broke the ability to assign a static IP.

Well, it still lets you go through the motions of assigning a non DHCP static IP it just won't work With DHCP turned on in the router it does connect.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tommyd View Post
    Had my local dealer contact Trane / Nexia about this issue. Here is the response from Trane / Nexia:

"You will see some changes made to the Nexia 824 Controller Home Screen. The wave animation that indicates the unit is on and the rotating fan animation has been discontinued. This was done to increase control response and does not effect the use of the thermostat. "

Apparently Trane / Nexia now thinks that the thermostat processor does not have enough performance to perform the animations AND calculate temperature change simultaneously. Since I have a two speed system and the speed of the spinning fan icon was used to indicate if the system was in low or high power mode, I asked my local dealer to ask Trane / Nexia how one can now easily see that on the thermostat. Maybe they will have to add the words "Low" and "High" somewhere.
    I bought my Nexia on Amazon, so I don't have a dealer to go through. Do you happen to know if we can contact Trane directly to let them know this change does affect the use of the thermostat for many of us and plead our case for a fix?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KEMeyer View Post
    I bought my Nexia on Amazon, so I don't have a dealer to go through. Do you happen to know if we can contact Trane directly to let them know this change does affect the use of the thermostat for many of us and plead our case for a fix?
    Sorry but I dont know how to contact Trane directly. My local dealer said they would investigate further but I have heard nothing.
    I dont really think Trane / Nexia care what the end user thinks.