Register                

Thread: Nest 3rd gen with Heat Pump Trane XL16i and Trane air handler TAM7A0C48H41SDA

User Info Menu

Question Nest 3rd gen with Heat Pump Trane XL16i and Trane air handler TAM7A0C48H41SDA

Good day, before buying a Nest 3rd gen, I would like to confirm that this thermostat will be fully compatible with my system.

> My heat pump is a Trane XL16i 1 stage cooling and 1 stage heating.
    > Air handler unit unit is a Trane TAM7A0C48H41SDA with 1 stage cooling and 3 stages heating 1) HP only, 2) HP with 5k Watt and 3) HP with 10k Watt.

See photo of my wiring. I contacted Nest and they mentioned that I need a pro to install their thermostat but figure out that I might be able to do it myself instead of calling a guy that will charge me $$ for something that may not be so complicated...

So 1) Is the Nest compatible with such system?
    and 2) What would be the ideal wiring to follow? (Nest mentioned to me that my BK would not be used)

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	1549 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 2.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	1550

Administrator

User Info Menu

On Trane systems the BK terminal is used for dehumidification. When the BK terminal is not connected the supply fan will not reach 100%. You could run a test on your system and disconnect the BK terminal wire to see if the supply fan slow down. If your test confirms this you could just install a jumper between the R terminal and the BK terminal at the indoor air handling unit terminal board. Your other wires would just match up with the Nest terminals

User Info Menu

From the picture posted, it looks like the factory BK jumper is still in place, so your original stat wasn't doing anything for dehumidification.