Register                

Thread: Can Nest 3rd Generation be use to monitor temperature but Not control HVAC?

User Info Menu

Can Nest 3rd Generation be used to monitor temperature but Not control HVAC?

Can Nest 3rd Generation be used to monitor temperature but Not control HVAC?

We were using two Nest 3rd generation thermostats to control the two different zones in our home. After our old furnace broke down, we went to a new furnace which is whole house, with no zones, which is now controlled by one of the Nests in our downstairs area.

I'm wondering if there is a way to connect the second Nest in our upstairs, to simply monitor the temperature, but NOT send any signals back to our HVAC system. If so, which wires should be connected/disconnected?

Thanks for any advice you can give.
    Last edited by jdestross; 12-09-2017 at 11:27 AM.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Yes you could. You will need to have 24vac connect to the Nest. You will need wires connected to the RH and C terminals or RC and C terminals.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info. As a follow-up, I found out that you can not simply hook up the red and cyan wires, as the Nest will detect that you are not connected to an HVAC system and will not allow you to complete setup. I was able to fool the nest by simply connecting dummy wires to the W,Y, Y2, and G connectors on the Nest mounting plate. the wires I used are only an inch or so long, and they connect to nothing, but it was enough to get me past the Nest setup. I set the nest to the off mode, and can now use it to monitor the temp upstairs with the nest app.