Register                

Thread: Need help with wiring.

User Info Menu

Need help with wiring.

The thermostat in my condo appears to be broke. The display is dead. I have tried toggling the fuse box so I am assuming its RIP and need a new thermostat.

I need help figuring out where wires go. I have attached an image of my thermostat on the wall and a diagram in the manual of the thermostat I wish to purchase. End game question is, how to do I attach my wires to the new thermostat. My big confusion is from the jumper cable and B wire. Is the Jumper necessary?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180709_095949.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	1628 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heat Pump Diagram.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	1629

I am using a Heat Pump in a Condo. I believe it is one stage heat and one stage cooling.
    Last edited by AC1984; 07-09-2018 at 01:56 PM.

User Info Menu

The B wire is the heat pump control that switches between heating and cooling. B usually means a Rheem or Ruud system that is active when heating. So wire goes to the O/B connector and then you need to program the thermostat for a heat pump and to use this wire as a B.
    The jumper between Y and W is needed on some heat pump thermostats. Most likely not needed with a new thermostat - it will be documented if you do. So yellow wire would go to Y connector. Following the heat pump labels on the new thermostat you see that there is no W so no need for a jumper.