Register                

Thread: OOps I think I broke our Trane Central AC(sorted the G and common pins)

User Info Menu

OOps I think I broke our Trane Central AC(sorted the G and common pins)

I was probing for voltages when I accidentally clipped an alligator clip to the G and touched a few other pins to see which one turned the fan on. Its a trane baysta239A that goes to a large unit in the attic and a separate radiator outside. Its an old fashioned type mercury slider that is strange seeing this house sold for 1.1M a few years ago. We have another model that powers the 1st floor AC and works fine. I was poking around with an alligator clip because I though I could hard wire the fan from "auto " to on" as someone that lives here is old and messes with that switch because they don't know how to work it and have some problems with learning. So I touched "G" and one of the three common on the bottom (I can post a pic if that helps but its pretty basic). I thought these things were pretty robust. Did I cook a diode? Where does this box go into the attic? I'm trying to avoiding oing up there in july.

Last year the AC broke and we traced it to a faulty cap on the outside fan/radiator thing. I was a metal cap the size of a soup can. We ere having issues before I poked it with the aligator clip but it just came back on by it self.

EDIT I Figured out to post a pic. I connected from a the G pin to the "common"? pins in the bottom right. The AC was off when I was testing so I'm not sure when I broke it.
    Last edited by Nichole1989; 07-25-2018 at 02:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Can at not post pics as a new member? Maybe I can host it somehow.

User Info Menu

The Baystat 239 thermostat was very popular for a long time.

G to R would force the fan on 24x7

It does sound like you blew a fuse - normally located in the air handler in the attic. Should be an automotive blade style 3 or 5 amp. If you don't want to go into the attic then you are going to have to call someone to go up there.

User Info Menu

It was the fuse. Your post saved lots of time.

I have a new issue. I can't gt into the room with thethermostat as my roommates at work and they said just go into the attic ad manually connect the wires to turn on the AC until they get back. I can't figure out which wires go to which and as I learned the hard way its not a good idea to just start connecting random wire untilit turns thats how the fuse blew.

https://www.trane.com/Commercial/Upl...coil%20iom.pdf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	acpanel.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	1637   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	actherm.JPG 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	1638   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	acwires.jpg 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	1639