Register                

Thread: RTH9585 blowing cold air when set to heat

User Info Menu

RTH9585 blowing cold air when set to heat

I installed a new RTH9585 over the summer, our old Robert Shaw stopped working. New thermostat worked flawless with the A.C. and I never tested the heat mode until now that is getting cold. We have a forced air system, all wires from old were matched to the new one. Air is flowing strong, furnace fan is working. Just not hot.I have contacted Honeywell support via email, waiting for a response. Pics attached of wiring new and old Thermostat,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181112_195351.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	1643Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180629_133205.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	1644

User Info Menu

I think you have a heat pump. On the old thermostat the blue wire went to B (heat reversing valve). So on new blue needs to go to O/B and the white to W2/Aux/E. Then you need to program the thermostat for heat pump with B.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stuff View Post
    I think you have a heat pump. Which Is don't realize I did, On the old thermostat the blue wire went to B (heat reversing valve). So on new blue needs to go to O/B and the white to W2/Aux/E. Then you need to program the thermostat for heat pump with B.
    You are correct, I have a heat pump. I changed the wires as you suggested, now I don't have power to the thermostat, that means I need to add a c wire is that correct? I have an extra wire, orange, is not connected on both ends, I probably need to make this my common, and connect it to c, is that right?
    Last edited by jaimebc; 11-16-2018 at 09:47 AM.

User Info Menu

Stuff, thank you so much for your help. I connected the wires as you suggested, and I connected the extra Orange wire to my common side of the transformer and the other end to my C on my Honeywell Thermostat..and it worked! I appreciate your help and hopefully this thread will help others. This is the configuration that worked with my heat pump, the extra Orange wire became my C wire.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181116_103814.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	1645

Last edited by jaimebc; 11-16-2018 at 09:42 AM.