Register                
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Honeywell WIFI thermostat hack.

User Info Menu

Another Suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by DrDave View Post
    Was under the assumption that I could control a WIFI thermostat from an App on my PC. Didn't realize the signal has to be sent to Bumfudge Colorado and back just to bump my temp up a degree when my thermostat is 10 feet away. It appears WIFI thermostat mfgs get a kickback from utility companies. What about the disabled people who want to control their temp and don't have internet? This whole WIFI therm crap appears to be a con job. Why not an app you don't have to log into and send all over hells half acre just to turn up your temp? Does anyone make a thermostat that will do exactly this without blabbing all over the place that you turned up your furnace?
    This place is taking diy home automation to a new level,at least trying to. Check out all their kits

littlebits.cc/shop

littlebits.cc/kits/smart-home-kit

Did you ever get this hacked yet as when I go through the reset process to get it back to straight connect from pc I loose it every time?

User Info Menu

Another Suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by DrDave View Post
    Was under the assumption that I could control a WIFI thermostat from an App on my PC. Didn't realize the signal has to be sent to Bumfudge Colorado and back just to bump my temp up a degree when my thermostat is 10 feet away. It appears WIFI thermostat mfgs get a kickback from utility companies. What about the disabled people who want to control their temp and don't have internet? This whole WIFI therm crap appears to be a con job. Why not an app you don't have to log into and send all over hells half acre just to turn up your temp? Does anyone make a thermostat that will do exactly this without blabbing all over the place that you turned up your furnace?
    Just found this one ,have not tried it yet as the Littlebits looks more attractive to me.
    developer.venstar.com

User Info Menu

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by adamrgolf View Post
    DrDave, any luck?
    Yes, please continue and share! I to was duped into believing that it would be like other devices, local control, not Cloud big brother control!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dealer View Post
    Yes, please continue and share! I to was duped into believing that it would be like other devices, local control, not Cloud big brother control!
    1 year bump

User Info Menu

I'm a wheelchair user and funnily enough the heating guy fitted a Honeywell Wireless thermostat in my place yesterday , but I have a tabletop stand with mine. Its a DT92E

User Info Menu

No great option, only workable ones

I've looked into many, seems like they all need an internet server.

Honeywells and ecobees can be controlled locally with hackish stuff that may stop working with updates. Best bet would be smaller companies, but none that I know of offer an official local API.

A thermostat that speaks Zwave, Zigbee, X10, Bluetooth, or similar. The problem is you also need a controller running all the time, you can get one as cheap as $50. Check first, many of them have monthly service fees.