Register                

Thread: Difference between the 1F86U-42WF & UP500W

User Info Menu

Difference between the 1F86U-42WF & UP500W

Does anyone know what the difference is between the 1F86U-42WF and the UP500W? I'm thinking the former is contractor and the latter for the homeowner, but if that is the case, is there any significant difference? Are they essentially the same unit? The UP500W is more money, which is why I ask.

Administrator

User Info Menu

The Sensi 1F86U-42WF is the pro version and comes with a 5 year warranty. The Sensi UP500W is the retail version and comes with a 3 year warranty. The instruction sheets are also different between the two. Other than the warranty and instruction sheets there is no difference between the Sensi 1F86U-42WF and the Sensi UP500W. They both are physically the same and have the same functions.

User Info Menu

Thank-you. It's odd that the 1F86U-42WF is cheaper with a longer warranty.

My other question, your review mentioned that there is a +/-1 Degree differential and a low/medium/high cycle setting. In your test, was that somewhat adjustable? I'm finding that the Honeywell RTH6580WF cycles A/C way too often for my liking. And the only cycle adjustments appear to be for the heat. I'm just concerned about the fan wasting electricity all day. (I think my non-wifi thermostat was adjustable from 1-3 degrees.)

User Info Menu

PL1, You may be confusing a few different things re. thermostat settings. Sensi meets NEMA energy aware standards, which means that it is capable of holding +/- 1 degree differential in a test space. In the thermostat app, under advanced settings, we give the homeowner or contractor the ability to set a Slow/Medium/Fast cycle rate for both heating and cooling. If you want longer run times (less cycling), select Slow. This will set the differential to about 1.5 degrees. There is also an ability to offset the display on the thermostat up to 5 deg. This is just a calibration tool so a contractor or homeowner can change the display to show a temperature a little higher or lower than the actual room temperature.

User Info Menu

Very helpful, Thank-you.

On my Non-Wifi thermometer, there is a setting for the swing degrees, from 0-3 degrees I believe. Maybe I am mistaken, but, I thought that was what it was for. It was set to 2 degrees by default. So if the heating temp was set for 70, it would wait until 68 to fire up. Sometimes that was uncomfortable, but it was more efficient. I'm not used to it trying to maintain the setting at 1 degree. And mostly, I do not want my thermostat doing that when I'm not home all day.

I am also playing with the cycling settings on my Honeywell 1F86U-42WF which defaults to 5 CPH for my type system, and I am trying 3 CPH, to see if that satisfies me.

But, the Sensi does seem to have more adjustability, so, I think I may try it out. I was just curious of any real life experience with it. There are not many reviews I can find anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by GodwinGA View Post
    PL1, You may be confusing a few different things re. thermostat settings. Sensi meets NEMA energy aware standards, which means that it is capable of holding +/- 1 degree differential in a test space. In the thermostat app, under advanced settings, we give the homeowner or contractor the ability to set a Slow/Medium/Fast cycle rate for both heating and cooling. If you want longer run times (less cycling), select Slow. This will set the differential to about 1.5 degrees. There is also an ability to offset the display on the thermostat up to 5 deg. This is just a calibration tool so a contractor or homeowner can change the display to show a temperature a little higher or lower than the actual room temperature.