Register                
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 7 to 12 of 12

Thread: Honeywell RTH8580WF Wifi Setup Issue

  1. #7
    Junior Member

    User Info Menu

    Perfect - YOU solved my problem! Thanks

    This was EXACTLY the solution to my problem as well. Thanks SO much! I thought I was going to have to send it in as a defective unit.
    Justinsg

    Quote Originally Posted by bcwates View Post
    Ok. So after I've come to the realization that this unit is possibly deffective, I decided to take it apart and verify everything was present and in place.

    I took the face plate off and then removed the touch screen/main module to reveal the Wifi Module behind it. Once I verified it was there, I put the touch screen/main module back in place. After pushing it into the frame it clicks into place but I notice there is still a little wiggle room between it and the Wifi Module.

    Wi-Fi 7 Day Smart Programmable Touchscreen Thermostat, Works with Amazon Alexa, SmartThings, Google Home, IFTTT

    So I replace the face plate and turn the thermostat over to access the Wifi Module cover. I take it off and give it a gentle push. I then notice it snaps into place to come in full contact with the main module. I put it back together and install the thermostat to the base plate on the wall.

    After going through the main setup of the date and time, the information bar up top read "Wifi Setup". It's the coveted readout I've been looking for this whole time!

    So in the end, the thermostat was under the assumption it wasn't a Wifi capable unit due to the Wifi module not being aligned properly. I am happy that it was something so simple and I hope that anyone else who has this issue is able to find my simple solution.

  2. #8
    Junior Member

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by bcwates View Post
    ......
    So I replace the face plate and turn the thermostat over to access the Wifi Module cover. I take it off and give it a gentle push. I then notice it snaps into place to come in full contact with the main module. I put it back together and install the thermostat to the base plate on the wall.

    After going through the main setup of the date and time, the information bar up top read "Wifi Setup". It's the coveted readout I've been looking for this whole time!




    So in the end, the thermostat was under the assumption it wasn't a Wifi capable unit due to the Wifi module not being aligned properly. I am happy that it was something so simple and I hope that anyone else who has this issue is able to find my simple solution.
    Huge thanks for your post! After relocating my existing RTH8580WF which had been working for over a year, I couldn’t get it to reconnect to wireless. Calls to Honeywell support were useless. It would never go into WIFI SETUP. After reading your post I checked the connection between the WIFI module and the touch pad. As soon as I reassembled and reconnected the WIFI SETUP screen appeared. Thanks for saving me another few hours of frustration.

  3. #9
    Junior Member

    User Info Menu

    I'd wish to thank bcwates for his post on 7-6-15 where it was reported that the thermostat would not go into wifi setup because the wifi module was not completely seated on the touch screen/main module.
    I just purchased and installed 7 RTH8580WF thermostats that were either used or open-box returns. The wifi module becoming unplugged from the main module is a frequent and on-going problem with this multi-board assembly. Connectivity between the wifi module and the main circuit board is implemented with a 4 pin header on the wifi module and a 4 pin receptacle on the main board. When this connector disconnects, the thermostat will not go into wifi setup.
    Here is a procedure for detecting and correcting the problem.
    1. With the thermostat removed from the base plate, open the white rubber cover on the right side of the unit. Using a flashlight with a narrow beam, look into the hole and slightly up. Look at the black plastic bodies of the header and connector connecting the wifi module to the main board.
    2. If you see No Gap, between the header and connector plastic bodies, then the wifi module is fully seated on the main board and properly connected.
    3. If you see a gap between the header and connector plastic bodies, (even 1/16") then the wifi module may be disconnected from the main board.
    4 . The wifi module can be re-seated against the main board without disassembling the thermostat. Using the tool that is not sharp and non-metallic, (I used a wooden coffee stirring stick) press the wifi module against the main board by inserting the stick through the 1" vertical slot on the back of the thermostat and apply firm pressure on the wifi module to re-seat the header and connector.
    5. Re-inspect the connector by looking through the hole in the right side (step 1 above) and you should see the connector parts fully mated with the black plastic parts touching.

    I've had 100% success rate fixing thermostats that would not go into wifi setup using this procedure. I've also observed that there is enough flexibility in the plastic case to disconnect the wifi module by simply separating the thermostat from it's base plate. If this happens to you, simply use the procedure above to correct the problem.

  4. #10
    Junior Member

    User Info Menu

    Problem Solved! Shame on Honeywell!

    Thanks bcwates and EES-Tom! I have two of these thermostats in my house, and they are three years old now. The wifi initially worked on the one for about 6 months and then no more. I searched and searched for 2 years, but none of the solutions worked until I found this post. Indeed the wifi module was not fully plugged in to the main module rendering the wifi module useless. There is another post here by EES-Tom with more detailed instructions on this solution.

    This is a big design flaw and SHAME ON HONEYWELL for not making this solution known because they surely knew of the design flaw, but wanted to avoid an expensive recall.

    Quote Originally Posted by bcwates View Post
    Ok. So after I've come to the realization that this unit is possibly deffective, I decided to take it apart and verify everything was present and in place.

    I took the face plate off and then removed the touch screen/main module to reveal the Wifi Module behind it. Once I verified it was there, I put the touch screen/main module back in place. After pushing it into the frame it clicks into place but I notice there is still a little wiggle room between it and the Wifi Module.

    Wi-Fi 7 Day Smart Programmable Touchscreen Thermostat, Works with Amazon Alexa, SmartThings, Google Home, IFTTT

    So I replace the face plate and turn the thermostat over to access the Wifi Module cover. I take it off and give it a gentle push. I then notice it snaps into place to come in full contact with the main module. I put it back together and install the thermostat to the base plate on the wall.

    After going through the main setup of the date and time, the information bar up top read "Wifi Setup". It's the coveted readout I've been looking for this whole time!

    So in the end, the thermostat was under the assumption it wasn't a Wifi capable unit due to the Wifi module not being aligned properly. I am happy that it was something so simple and I hope that anyone else who has this issue is able to find my simple solution.

  5. #11
    Junior Member

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by starranger74 View Post
    Thanks bcwates and EES-Tom! I have two of these thermostats in my house, and they are three years old now. The wifi initially worked on the one for about 6 months and then no more. I searched and searched for 2 years, but none of the solutions worked until I found this post. Indeed the wifi module was not fully plugged in to the main module rendering the wifi module useless. There is another post here by EES-Tom with more detailed instructions on this solution.

    This is a big design flaw and SHAME ON HONEYWELL for not making this solution known because they surely knew of the design flaw, but wanted to avoid an expensive recall.
    This is exactly what solved my problem. Wow. Took me months to fix this.

  6. #12
    Junior Member

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by starranger74 View Post
    Thanks bcwates and EES-Tom! I have two of these thermostats in my house, and they are three years old now. The wifi initially worked on the one for about 6 months and then no more. I searched and searched for 2 years, but none of the solutions worked until I found this post. Indeed the wifi module was not fully plugged in to the main module rendering the wifi module useless. There is another post here by EES-Tom with more detailed instructions on this solution.

    This is a big design flaw and SHAME ON HONEYWELL for not making this solution known because they surely knew of the design flaw, but wanted to avoid an expensive recall.
    This is exactly what solved my problem. Wow. Took me months to fix this. Thank you all!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •