Thread: Trane System Advice

User Info Menu

Trane System Advice

I am looking for a *proven* working Trane option to use with my existing Gen 2 Nest thermostat. Unfortunately, with a lot of the variation in heating and cooling systems, combined with an apparent reluctance with some installers to utilize Nest (instead of the system branded t-stat), getting good answers is difficult.

I am using Natural Gas for the furnace, and plan to replace both the AC, Furnace and duct-work, so basically we are thinking a clean install.

I have had suggested:
    XL16i (2T single stage)
    XV80 (60000 btu, variable speed)

I am interested if anyone knows for sure that these two will work well with the Nest. I am also interested in any other recommendations that stay with the Nest.

Honestly, (although I think this forum will not be that way) if you are going to tell me to try another t-stat, just don't. The entire point is I want, for my own reason, to utilize the Nest - and chooses effectively based around that base decision.

Thanks for any help.

User Info Menu

I've got a Trane 2-stage furnace and am looking to add cooling and my research with the 4 installers and talking to NEST, I've come to the conclusion that:
    1) A Nest gen 2 or 3 can be run in a dual-fuel solution of 2 stages cooling, 3 stages of heating, when set up via the Nest's 'pro' setup menu.
    2) The lack of local temperature input and relying on a weather service data feed over the internet to get external temperature can cause problems if change-over temperature from heatpump to the alternate fuel heat source (NG, etc) can cause problems if there is great variance between your house's outside temp and the weather service regional data, especially in cold climates.
    3) The solution of combined cooling and heating - if newly installed - may require thermostat features not available in the Nest to get the maximum efficiency and efficacy out of the HVAC system, but it will work fine, but less effectively with the Nest. What that matters, that lack of maximum utility, is depending on fuel costs you may not recover the savings needed to justify the more complex heating and cooling solutions.