Thread: Nest 2nd Gen with Aprilaire 500 after install humidifier doesn't come on

User Info Menu

Nest 2nd Gen with Aprilaire 500 after install humidifier doesn't come on

So after reviewing the diagram below on this site I've decided to tackle installing the whole home humidifier myself. Prior to the install, the only wires connected to my nest 2.0 was rc, y, g1, and w1. After I completed the install with the diagram below. I notice that in the diagram it has the power wire pointing to Rh instead of Rc, not sure if this is significant. Any help will be appreciated. The problem is I do the test on the thermostat and the selonoid does not 'click' on and i see no water flowing from the bottom of it.

Some maybe useful facts.

• HVAC circuit board did not have a Common attached to it so I just attached C to the relay
    • My HVAC is Gas and my water heater is also Gas
    • I used the supplied transformer with the humidifier connected the 120 volts to the hvac switch and the 24 volts one end to the relay nd one end to the selonoid
    • forgot to mention that i connected the * to the relay as well, which is recognized by the thermostat.
    • The transformer is not mounted to anything, as there's nothing to mount it to within the HVAC unit itself. Is this an issue I should take care of? best way to do it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nestwithNONPOWEREDhumidifier.jpg 
Views:	1757 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	1234

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RichMe1ster View Post
    I notice that in the diagram it has the power wire pointing to Rh instead of Rc, not sure if this is significant.
    It will work in either the RC or RH position. The Nest drawings just always show the R wire connected to RH.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMe1ster View Post
    I used the supplied transformer with the humidifier connected the 120 volts to the hvac switch and the 24 volts one end to the relay nd one end to the solenoid
    Did you also connect the second wire from the relay to the solenoid?

User Info Menu

I figured it out, loose contacts on 110 VAC to the transformer was the culprit. It was hard to detect because the furnace and AC were working but once I removed the nuts and rejoined the wires, everything worked like a charm! Thanks for the reply!