Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two humidistats control one humidifier

User Info Menu

Two humidistats control one humidifier

Hello. I am new to this forum. I have a natural gas forced air heating system with two zones, a lower and upper level. A whole-house evaporative humidifier is located at the furnace. Currently, the lower thermostat is an Ecobee and is wired (2-wire) to control when the humidifier runs based on the Ecobee settings. The upper level is also an Ecobee thermostat but not wired into the humidifier. During the night, the lower level turns down as heat is not needed on this level. The upper level calls for heat during the night, but the humidifier does not run. I want to setup this system so that no matter which zone is calling for heat/humidity, the Ecobee thermostats will activate the humidifier. Do I need to install a relay or some other device to make this happen? It is possible to run wires from the furnace to the upper level if needed. If so, I would appreciate any advice on equipment needed and how to wire the setup. Let me know if more information is needed to help with this. Thank you.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Does your system have a zone controller? Does your system have one or two furnaces.

User Info Menu

The system has only one furnace. There is a zone controller that opens and closes dampers to direct air to the upper and lower levels. However the humidifier wiring is not part of the controller. It doesn't look like there is a place to connect a humidifier to the zone controller.

Administrator

User Info Menu

You could add relays that would allow either thermostat to energize the humidifier. To come up with a way to wire the relays can you tell us if the humidifier has it’s own transformer? What terminals are you currently using on the first floor ecobee to entergize the humidifier?

User Info Menu

The Ecobee on the first floor uses the terminals ACC- and ACC+ to energize the humidifier. The transformer for the system is located within the furnace near the control board. The 120 volt feeding the transformer is connected to the 120 Volt Neutral and the 120 Volt Hot EAC on the furnace control board. Let me know if you need any more information. Thank you.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Are you saying the humidifier does not have its own thermostat? What terminals in the humidifier do the ACC+ and ACC- wires connect to? When you setup the Ecobee did you select 2 wire or 1 wire for the humidifier? What was controlling the humidifier before the ecobee.

I have two ideas on how to wire this. I have tried to search the internet to confirm my ideas will work but I have not found any supporting information.