Register                
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two humidistats control one humidifier

User Info Menu

The humidifier does not have its own thermostat. It is being controlled by the Ecobee thermostat. Before I installed the Ecobee on the lower level, the humidifier (which has solenoid valve 616-1220N-2, MOPD 125, 2.3 Watts, 24/60 Volts, Orifice 3/32) was controlled by a humidistat located next to the original thermostat. When setting up the Ecobee, I selected 2 wire for the humidifier and connected the wires that were going to the humidistat to the ACC+ and ACC- on the Ecobee. The wires connected to the ACC+ and ACC- run to the transformer located near the furnace control board and to the solenoid valve. I think what happens is when the furnace is running, the transformer is energized. Then, if the Ecobee calls for humidity based on the settings, it closes the loop so that the solenoid valve opens and allows water to enter the humidifier (Lennox model HCWB2-12).

User Info Menu

Anyone able to help with this question? I know it is quite involved and may not be possible, but with the electronics out there these days, it should be.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Using the wiring diagram below you would need two relays. The existing Ecobee wiring for the fan, cooling and heating would remain the same. With this wiring you will need to change your Ecobee setup to a single wire humidifier. At the bottom of this post there are two different relays you could use. The pam-1 relay may be easier to use.
    Two Ecobee thermostats controlling one humidifier

User Info Menu

Thanks so much! I will give this a try and let you know how it works out.

User Info Menu

I want to first say thanks as this diagram is very helpful, not sure why more information is not posted online about this issue or addressed by Ecobee. Can the original poster comment on if it worked? I have an Aprilaire 700 that I am interested in doing the same thing with. Would like to know will this wiring allowing for the Ecobee to call for humidity without a call for heat? Ecobee customer service states that there is a force furnace fan with humidity option in the software so that shouldn't be an issue. I would just have to tell the Ecobee it is a one wire steam humidifier to get the setup to work right.

Second question just for clarity, at my zone controller I would just be adding an additional common wire leaving the current common wire alone to wire into the relay and then wiring the ACC+ directly to the relay from the thermostat or would I just slice the relay into the current common wire and no need for a second common wire?

For the transformer I see how the two wires are connecting coming off of it but what does the other side connect to on the furnace?

I believe I understand most of this but wanted to ask these clarification questions before starting this between now and the weekend.

Lastly what is the difference between the wiring above versus how other's have shown to do it for the nest? I have attached a picture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nest Wiring Diagram.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	1670

Thanks in advance for any help.

User Info Menu

Can anyone tell me what this clip is called? I need to get one to be able to hook into the EAC terminal. Not sure why this was left off at installation guessing because they were not using it (there are no extra ones for me to be able to move from one space to another). Also is this something that I will be able to get at Home Depot or Lowe's?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190217_143652.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	1671Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190217_143652.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	1671Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190217_143745.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	80.2 KB