Thread: Ecobee 4 Installation Help - Unit On, Equipment Not Working

User Info Menu

Question Ecobee 4 Installation Help - Unit On, Equipment Not Working

Hello everyone. I got help here once so I am going to take another stab. I had an Trane XL950. It simply didn't work well. Froze all the time, disconnected from the wife all the time. Just had it. So, I bought an Ecobee4.

My equipment is as follows - outside unit is the Goodman ssz140301. The unit in the attic is a Goodman ARPT36C14AB.

My original Trane was wired as follows (3 wire):

D (Data) = White Wire
    R (24 Vac HOT) = Red Wire
    B (24 Vac Common) = Blue Wire

There are also additional bundled wires in the wall not used (Yellow, Brown, Black, Green).

When I tried to match up the wiring above to the new thermostat is was a bit of a lost cause. Since this is not my thing I tried but there wasn't a match on the new Ecobee wiring diagram. However, I am sure I got it all wrong. The Ecobee turns on goes through the setup but nothing works. I double checked the breakers and everything. The unit turns on but the Fan, Heat or AC never come on.

I connected the following on the Ecobee 4:

Left Terminals:
    Rc = RED
    G = Green
    Y1 = Yellow
    Y2 = None
    O/B = White
    PEK = None

Right Terminals
    Rh = None (Ecobee says it auto jumps)
    C = Blue Wire
    W1 = None
    W2 = None
    ACC-= None
    ACC+= None

Hopefully you guys can easily pick out what is wrong. I do have pictures if you need them.

Old Thermo:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old_Thermo_XL950.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	1686

New Thermo:

Name:	New_Thermo_Ecobee4.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	1687

Relay unit in Attic BAY24VRPAC52DBA

Name:	Thermo_Relay5.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	1688
    Last edited by DarenG; 04-03-2019 at 10:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Update: I think I may have figured it out. Based on what I am looking at on the Relay, it appears that the TRANE had a Relay on the one Thermostat that allows for the downstairs one to be connected via the 3 wires above. Plus, when I looked it up it appears that is also the communication module for the Trane Thermostats.

So, I unhooked all the wires and spliced the like colors in essence bypassing the RELAY. I have no idea if this is a good or bad idea or if it will impact the performance of my system at all. The two train units really didn't "talk" to each other anyway. If I like this Ecobee 4 I will just replace the other one as well.

Testing now the FAN, HEAT and AIR. Let you guys know how it goes.

User Info Menu

Testing completed. Everything is up and running. Sorry to bother you guys since I figured it out. Hopefully, this will help someone else who has a similar problem getting the Ecobee 4 to work.

Thanks everyone.