Thread: RTH9585WF blowing heat on cool setting. New install

User Info Menu

RTH9585WF blowing heat on cool setting. New install

Sorry if this has been covered but I could not find it. I found some similar topics on other forums but nothing helped.

I'm a DIY homeowner so I am pretty sure I am not doing something incorrectly and my terminology will be bad.

My old thermostat, a Bryant/Carrier 997-970210-3 quits working unless I open the door on it and close it back. Basically resetting it by disconnecting it from the terminal connections. After I do this the thermostat will cool on auto for that day and then the next day I do it again. Otherwise, I have to leave it set to the on position leaving it run all day. I assumed the thermostat was going out so I purchased a new one. The RTH9585WF.

As the title mentions, I can only get this to blow heat when it comes on. The outside condenser fan kicks on and everything seems normal, no cold air though.

I also tried setting it as 1 stage and 2 stages for both heating and cooling. At this point, I'm confused as to what I even have. I assumed going into it I had 2 stage heating and cooling.

My old thermostat (attached photo) is:

W/W1 - White
    Y/Y2 - Yellow
    G - Green
    R - Red
    Y1/W2 - *empty*
    O/W2 - Orange
    S2 - Brown (taped off for the new)
    S1 - Black (taped off for the new)
    C - Blue

What I have tried is in one of the other photos attached. I thought about a jumper in between The Y and Y2 on the new thermostat but did not try it.

I have a Bryant Gas heating system (sorry no model) and a Carrier CK5BXW030017AAAA Cooling system.

I'm not even sure if this new thermostat will solve my problem. From what I read it was worth a shot.

So if anyone can tell me the correct way to wire this up so I can try it, I would appreciate it. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RTH9585WF_Attempts.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	1692   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old thermostat.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	1693   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	System board.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	1694  

Administrator

User Info Menu

Look like you may have a heat pump. Did you try to configure the thermostat as a heat pump. If your system did not work correctly when you set it up as a heat pump did you try to change "Type of changeover valve" from "cooling changeover valve" to "heating changeover valve"

User Info Menu

I did not try it as a heat pump. That would make a difference if that is the case. Thanks and I will let you know once I try it

User Info Menu

Thanks, that seemed to work (you probably knew that). Heat works as well. Now, as long as it continues to turn the AC on when it's supposed to I should be good.