Register                

Thread: RTH9598 wi-fi thermostat issue.

User Info Menu

Unhappy RTH9598 wi-fi thermostat issue.

Replaced older Honeywell Tstat with a 9585 to a 2 wire system. Connected a c-wire from c side of furnace xformer. The 9585 turned on, set up an account and began to test. Unable to turn on furnace when set point up above room temp (more than 3 deg). Disconnected c-wire and hooked up a separate 26 volt supply to tstat to make sure my transformer wasn't causing he problem and to the try again. System again energized and appeared to function normally. Still unable to turn on furnace. Disconnected wires and shorted W+ R wires frp\om the wall to verify furnace operation-was OK.

Took old tstat checked resistance across W and R wires with set point below room temp. Open as expected. Shorted wires and increased set point several degrees above room temp, meter read short as expected.

Tried the same tests with the 9585 activated but was unable to read a short across W and R as with old tstat. All other function of tstat work fine. At a loss.??? (This was the second Tstat, first returned as defective).

Administrator

User Info Menu

Is the factory RC/R jumper installed? Have you tried moving the R wire to the RC terminal at the thermostat? Have you verified the W and R wires are connected to the correct terminals at the furnace and that they are not swapped?

User Info Menu

The RC/R jumper was installed. I will double check to be sure. If the jumper is installed, it wouldn't matter moving it to the RC terminal, would it? But, I'll try it any way. Is it that I should try it without the jumper in place? I have verified the W and R connections on the furnace. I also reversed the C and R wire connections on the transformer to be sure of a 'common connection' problem.

I have drawn a wiring diagram of the furnace connections. Maybe I can post it if it would be helpful.

Aside from the above. Shouldn't I get a reading across the W & R terminals on the thermostat with a meter when the set point is above the ambient reading, calling for a heat condition?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrlarryb View Post
    The RC/R jumper was installed. I will double check to be sure. If the jumper is installed, it wouldn't matter moving it to the RC terminal, would it?
    It should not matter but with the issues that you are having I was thinking it would be and easy test to run.

Is it that I should try it without the jumper in place?
    Trying it without the jumper would be a good test. If you try this test with the jumper removed make sure to keep the 24vac wire connected to the R terminal and not the RC terminal

Aside from the above. Shouldn't I get a reading across the W & R terminals on the thermostat with a meter when the set point is above the ambient reading, calling for a heat condition?
    When the set point is above the ambient reading and the thermostat is set to heating or auto change over you should read 0 vac when you place one meter lead on the R wire and the other meter lead on the W wire. If you place one of the meter leads on the W wire and the other meter lead on the C wire you should read 24vac when the set point is above the ambient reading and the thermostat is set to heating or auto change over

User Info Menu

Well, I tried all I could. Still not working so I gave up and returned the thermostat. Funny thing is I could hear the relay kick in when there is a call for heat and the thermo says 'heat on', just won't kick in. As I said, I'm done, Thanks for all the help. Larry

User Info Menu

Just a follow up on my issue. I returned Tstat and bought a RTH6500 wI-fi. Guess it was an earlier model and a little more beefy than the newer ones, but with the wI-fi capability. As expected my issue was no longer an issue, everything works fine, a little more cumbersome than the RTH9598 but does the job. Point of information about connections and c wire stuff: I put a jumper from W to C terminals for the common, and used an unused tstat wire to the R2 terminal with the end other tied to the R on the transformer with the Tstat jumper from R & R2 removed. I will write to Honeywell and ask for an explanation on the issue.

Last edited by mrlarryb; 05-02-2019 at 02:53 AM.