Thread: Heat AND blower on or off together based upon temp. Is this not possible?

User Info Menu

Heat AND blower on or off together based upon temp. Is this not possible?

First post here. Forgive me, I'm a bit frustrated.

I am 20 year professional computer technician who'd like to think I won't be bested by a thermostat.

I recently installed THIS thermostat because the last one was doing what this is doing too. A professional heating and cooling outfit installed the last one a few months ago during the course of fixing the furnace.

I perfectly duplicated the wiring how he had it and that after checking a few youtube videos as well. As far as I can tell it is installed correctly.

All I want is to set a temperature and have this thing maintain that temperature all the time. I don't care about schedules and all that.

I have scoured the instructions and overrode the schedule function, and set it to hold at 72 degrees. That's what the display says too. Near as I can tell.

When the bottom switches are set to "auto" and "heat", the blower runs until it's warm in the house, shuts off and never comes back on unless I switch the blower to "on." However the heat stays on, just not the blower. I can feel unforced heat coming through the vents.

Also, with the blower switch set to "on," the blower will stay on at all times, but it seems the heat will turn off and it will begin alternately blowing, not cold, but unheated air, and randomly change back to heat after a while... Sometimes.

I have gotten up in the morning with it set to 72/hold/heat/auto and it's own thermometer reads 58 degrees.

I beg of thee! Tell me what I'm doing wrong and become my new hero.
    Thank you for any help.
    Last edited by Tiribulus; 11-20-2019 at 10:16 AM.

User Info Menu

Change thermostat settings from gas to electric heat and then the fan will do what you want.
    Look on page 7 of the manual - https://customer.honeywell.com/resou.../69-2448ES.pdf

User Info Menu

If it didn't work right with a professional install then you should review the entire system. Do you have a gas furnace, electric furnace, or heat pump? What model numbers are the outside unit and air handler? How is the wiring hooked up between to the thermostat and what is on the other end.

User Info Menu

It's my landladies house, but it's a gas furnace and set to gas. It's ok to set it to electric? I'm just double checking.
    Thank you very much for your attention.

User Info Menu

With a standard gas furnace the fan/blower is controlled by the furnace itself. Blower doesn't start until a bit after the burner as don't want to circulate cold air. Then continues running for a minute or so after the burner stops so as to get the last bit of heat into the house. If it isn't doing this then there is something broke in the furnace itself and the tech needs to come back out. This can be a safety issue as an overheating furnace can cause fires.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stuff View Post
    With a standard gas furnace the fan/blower is controlled by the furnace itself. ... If it isn't doing this then there is something broke in the furnace itself and the tech needs to come back out.
    This is what I was thinking seeing that it does the same thing with both thermostats.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuff View Post
    This can be a safety issue as an overheating furnace can cause fires.
    This occurred to me as well. How good can it be that the heat is still running with no blower to mitigate that?

I want the heat and blower to run or not together.