I opened up an Ecobee 3 that was given to me by my friend that is the HVAC professional. He took it off a job where it was configured to operate a Heat Pump when the AC became "Stuck on" for something like 13 hours in Cool mode during the Summer. After he gave it to me I was able to add it to my account and review the Home IQ System data and I could see where the unit apparently became "Stuck On".

I put this in another property of mine to see how the unit responded. For Cooling on a HVAC system with a standard single stage cooling and natural gas furance, the unit worked fine for the Summer while the AC was on. Fall came and I needed to change over to Heat. Well the thermostat and display showed that the heat was commanding on, however, the furnace was never turned on by the thermostat. I could run the Fan no problem, just no heat. Well it appears that the FET/JFET/MOSFET for the Heat must have been damaged/blown out when the problem happened on the original installation??

While I have not tried to "spoof" the thermostat to attempt to run/configure the 2nd stage W2 terminal to run the heat, which I may have been able to do, I decided to take the unit apart and inspect it to see if there might be a way to repair it or replace the bad FET/JFET/MOSFET. While I have not put a lot of time and effort into this thermostat so far, I might consider swapping one of the other FET/JFET/MOSFET from say the Humidier/Dehumidifier section to get this unit working. If I have time, I may mess aroud with it some more, but this assumes I can find time. BTW, I do have pretty good soldering skills and equipment and have reworked and build SMD boards in the past.

Anyway, here are pictures I took of the insides of the unit. Note there is a backup battery for configuration and I identified a number of Opto Isolator components, not sure what they are for, but I also found 9 semiconductors labels T1-T9 which I assume are the FET/JFET/MOSFET's that are the output drivers for things like the Fan, A/C, Heat, Reversing Valve and Humidifier/Dehumidifier??

Again, sharing so this might help others and maybe someone has spent more time inside one of these thermostats and can share of comment on what they have found.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200210_083701.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	1742

Name:	IMG_20200210_082907.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	1743

Name:	IMG_20200210_082448.jpg