Thread: Issues with Ecobee and boiler short cycling when AC is on

User Info Menu

Issues with Ecobee and boiler short cycling when AC is on

Hi there - I am new to the forum and I apologize if my question is dumb. I am handy, but not an expert on HVAC systems so was hoping someone who is could give me some advice.

I have the setup in the attached image - this was installed before I bought the house. Two zones, two thermosats, two hydronic air handlers and one shared high efficiency boiler connected via a valve control panel Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-06-18_10-12-14.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	1780

In trying to improve efficiency, I tried installing an ecobee with voice. Because I only had 4 wires, I installed the PEK. The system worked great all winter, zero issues and I love it. Then, I needed to turn on AC...

I happened to be in the utility room and when the AC was running I could see the taco orange light for zone 1 would periodically start coming on intermittently until eventually zone 1 valve would close and the boiler would be initiated. By the time the boiler started, the taco panel lights would go off. This would then happen again a few minutes later as long as the AC was running.

Thinking it was the PEK, I removed it and ran a C wire to the air handler. The same issue persisted. I removed the ecobee entirely and backed out the C wire and installed the original relay based thermostat. Guess what - the taco panel is still intermittently calling the boiuler for heat via zone 1 when the AC in zone 1 is running.

Right now, I have disconnected the zone 1 connections to the Taco panel to stop the boiler being repeatedly cycled. My question(s) is:

• Has the Ecobee damaged the air handler of Taco panel to cause this?
    • Does the taco panel need to be connected via the air handlers two white wires of can it be connected directly to the thermostat?
    • What could cause the panel to do this, even with a regular relay thermostat?

It is quite possible this behavior has always happened and I just didn't know about it. The contractor on this house made many bad choices.

Any help truly appreciated - sorry for the long email!

User Info Menu

Connecting TT of the air handler to the Taco's TT doesn't make sense. Does the air handler even have TT terminals?

User Info Menu

I apologize. The air handler has two unlabelled white wires which are connected to TT on the taco.

User Info Menu

See where the white wires connect in the air handler. One setup could be a relay that is driven off of the W and C but maybe something strange. A more "normal" connection would be to take the two TT wires to the Ecobee and attach to W1 and Rh. Look at Ecobee's boiler diagram at https://support.ecobee.com/hc/en-us/...iring-Diagrams