Thread: 2-Zone with 2 ecobee to control 1 Aprilaire 800 steam humidifier

User Info Menu

2-Zone with 2 ecobee to control 1 Aprilaire 800 steam humidifier

Hello all, I am new here. I would appreciate if someone can help me with my question.
    I have a 2-zone carrier system and one Aprilaire 800 steam humidifier with 2 ecobee thermostats. Each ecobee controls one zone. The zone control panel is Carrier ZONECC3ZHP01. The humidifier is currently wired to the humidistat that came with it. What I want to achieve is to get rid of the humidistat and have both ecobees be able to call for humidity. I've consulted with ecobee technical service and was told that only on ecobee can be wired to the humidifier. Would anyone please help me with the wiring?

Thank you.

User Info Menu

I don't know why they said you couldn't go to 2 thermostats. Do you have 2 free wires to each ecobee? If so you should be able to parallel to the acc+ and acc- connections. If you only have one wire to each then you would need a relay. Still parallel the acc+ from each.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stuff View Post
    I don't know why they said you couldn't go to 2 thermostats. Do you have 2 free wires to each ecobee? If so you should be able to parallel to the acc+ and acc- connections. If you only have one wire to each then you would need a relay. Still parallel the acc+ from each.
    Thank you for your reply.

Is this (the picture attached) what you mean?
    The ecobee service guy replied as following:
    ecobee Support (ecobee Support)

Jul 8, 2020, 2:07 PM EDT

The setup illustrated will not work as only one ecobee can connect to one humidifier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiring.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	1782  

User Info Menu

Is see no reason that wouldn't work. Ecobee may simply be playing it safe as many will wire it differently from your diagram.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stuff View Post
    Is see no reason that wouldn't work. Ecobee may simply be playing it safe as many will wire it differently from your diagram.
    Thank you very much! I thought so, too.