Thread: RTH9585WF heating based on exterior temperature

User Info Menu

RTH9585WF heating based on exterior temperature

Hello all,

The question might've been asked before but I don't know the heating vocabulary so here it is:

I have a new Honeywell thermostat RTH9585WF which replace my Alarm.Com thermostat (not connected) I have an Amana heat pump (at least 10 yo) and also have an electric furnace which replaced a oil furnace last year. My heatpump can't work when temperature is below -15C (5F) and since I'm in Quebec city, this is 4 months/year

The thermostat I had was capable of switching to the furnace base on outside temp.
    How can I activate this with my honeywell thermostat?

I suppose it's possible since if I request a high demand, like an increase of 2C, the furnace kick in instead of the heatpump, and when temp is reach, the heatpump take over.

Thanks for your help!

Vince

User Info Menu

I don't think your new thermostat has that option. Give Honeywell support a call at 1 800 828-8367 to confirm.

You can manually change to "emergency heat" to lock out the compressor but you'd lose the daytime advantages.

A tried and true solution is a mechanical thermostat switch at the outdoor unit: https://www.ecomfort.com/Goodman-OT1...BoCBlEQAvD_BwE