Thread: I am back, Heatpump not starting.

User Info Menu

I am back, Heatpump not starting.

Hello all,

Now that it has warmed up I am finally back to where I should be on heatpump and AUX should get some rest till next winter..
    Unfortunately, it seems my system has other plans.

Onto the symptoms:
    For the last 7 weeks (as seen by my Ecobee data trends) when heatpump is called for, it never kicks in and AUX has to kick it to support it.

I went out to the unit to check if the contactor has fail, and began testing voltage between signal wires while system is calling for heat and not.
    I am not sure which wires should change state when heatpump should be on, but I am only seeing a change on the Y-wire.
    HEAT OFF
    R W O Y | R W O Y
    B 24 11 11 24 | 24 11 11 11

The contactor has good voltage at the input, but the 24VAC control is never feeding the coil to engage it.
    Is it possible the board is bad, or should one of those other wires listed above have changed state ?

Administrator

User Info Menu

As long as your system uses reversing valve on for cooling (most heat pump system do) your outdoor unit is receiving the correct voltages. Before the board is considered the issue the safety switches like the low pressure switch and high pressure switch need to be checked.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thermostat View Post
    As long as your system uses reversing valve on for cooling (most heat pump system do) your outdoor unit is receiving the correct voltages. Before the board is considered the issue the safety switches like the low pressure switch and high pressure switch need to be checked.
    Also, I tested the system in cooling mode, but still the heatpump did not start. No voltage checks were done, just flipped the switch so to speak.

How would I check the safety switches? I had my system checked before winter and my refrigerant levels were perfectly in range then.

Administrator

User Info Menu

A quick check would be to see if the high pressure switch has a push button reset on it. If there is a reset button on it just push it. Testing the switches electrically would depend on how they are tied into the system. The next step would be to test the system pressures with a set of refrigerant gauges.

User Info Menu

From what I can see inside the HP, my switches do not have resets. I guess it's time to make a service call

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by micro2112 View Post
    From what I can see inside the HP, my switches do not have resets. I guess it's time to make a service call
    That would most likely be your best option. Let us know what they find