Register                
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rth9580wf installation is owning me.

User Info Menu

rth9580wf installation is owning me.

just bought the new wifi thermostat after a little research, thinking i would be able to hook it up with ease. i was very very wrong. the old thermostat works for my central air and oil heater just fine, figured i could just follow the wiring and hook up the common wire for power. managed to get the thing to power up using several different configurations, but i can't get the thing to start the ac or the heater.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0271.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	1048
    working thermostat wiring

Name:	IMAG0279.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	1049
    wiring on the transformer, the red and white wires go directly to my ac unit, not back up to the thermostat.

Name:	IMAG0281.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	1051
    red and white wires from thermostat

Name:	IMAG0282.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	1050
    shot of whole confusing mess.

did i mention that i have no idea what the hell is going on with all these wires. i watched about an hour of videos, and read a bunch of other forums posts before finally giving in and asking for help. every time i think i'm on to something i get put right back into my place.

any help would be fantastic

Administrator

User Info Menu

Did you remove the jumper loop on the rth9580wf? You have a two transformer system the jumper loop needs to be removed.

Wiring connections
    RC blue > rth9580wf RC
    R red > rth9580wf R
    G green > rth9580wf G
    Y yellow > rth9580wf Y
    W white > rth9580wf W
    connect new C wire to rth9580wf C

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thermostat View Post
    Did you remove the jumper loop on the rth9580wf? You have a two transformer system the jumper loop needs to be removed.

Wiring connections
    RC blue > rth9580wf RC
    R red > rth9580wf R
    G green > rth9580wf G
    Y yellow > rth9580wf Y
    W white > rth9580wf W
    connect new C wire to rth9580wf C
    does this mean i have to run a new wire through the wall? being that my current wire only has the 5 (red, blue, white, green, yellow)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scaredofelectricity View Post
    just bought the new wifi thermostat after a little research, thinking i would be able to hook it up with ease. i was very very wrong. the old thermostat works for my central air and oil heater just fine, figured i could just follow the wiring and hook up the common wire for power. managed to get the thing to power up using several different configurations, but i can't get the thing to start the ac or the heater.

Name:	IMAG0271.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	1048
    working thermostat wiring

Name:	IMAG0279.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	1049
    wiring on the transformer, the red and white wires go directly to my ac unit, not back up to the thermostat.

Name:	IMAG0281.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	1051
    red and white wires from thermostat

Name:	IMAG0282.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	1050
    shot of whole confusing mess.

did i mention that i have no idea what the hell is going on with all these wires. i watched about an hour of videos, and read a bunch of other forums posts before finally giving in and asking for help. every time i think i'm on to something i get put right back into my place.

any help would be fantastic

Name:	IMAG0325.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	1064
    when wired this way i get no power to the device. putting the green wire in the c give the thermostat power, but it says it is waiting for the equipment.

User Info Menu

one more post. hopefully someone can help me out here. i have read about hooking up an external power supply to be my c wire. if that is my only option left, where do i hook up the 2nd wire? in this video the guy hooks up one wire to the c and the other to the rh/c. since i already have a wire there where do i put mine? HELP!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgDseEF-4OY

User Info Menu

Hhhhheeeeellllllppppp!!!!!